February 2nd, 2006 / December 12th, 2016
- Elections were held in December 2019 but the victory of Abdelmadjid Tebboune was regarded as a continuation of the old guard, failing to attract support from the masses.
- What Macron has done is placed Stora in charge of a “memories and truth” commission to oversee reconciliation in the form of commemoration.
- Tebboune was hospitalised in Germany on 28 October 2020 for “in-depth medical examinations”, according to official sources, after contracting COVID-19, and after an outbreak among his aides.
- Fanack provides an overview of Algeria’s geography including it climate, natural reserves, natural resources.
- Given the country’s large surface area, the overall population density is low, with sixteen inhabitants per square kilometre. The concentration of people in the north, which makes up only 20 percent of the country, has, however, led to overpopulation a...
- Two decades on, the system and its leadership seem incapable of resolving these fundamental issues. Opposition parties are allowed to compete in elections, but they are unable to gain significant power on account of the way the system functions and the...
- To a certain extent, Tebboune’s election makes sense because of his former position but also because as prime minister he was dismissed for criticizing the president’s clan, which enabled him to distance himself from the old regime during his election cam...
- Previously tolerated, the protests are increasingly closely monitored, with authorities deploying a bigger police presence in the streets and being particularly vigilant around assemblies held outside of Friday.
Yahya ibn Abi Kathir (769-848)