Fanack Home / Syria / Society, Media & Culture of Syria

Society, Media & Culture of Syria

With 21 million inhabitants Syria is one of the medium sized countries in the Middle East. Arabs make up nearly 90 percent of the population. The remaining 10 percent are mainly Kurds.

Three quarters of the Syrians are Sunnis. Within the Syrian population there are also Christian, Alawite, Druze and Ismaili minorities. For centuries, the various religious and ethnic communities lived separately from each other, with little interaction. The urban areas were mainly the domain of Sunni Arabs, while the various religious and ethnic minorities inhabited the rural mountainous areas. As a result of the increasing urbanization, these minorities now also form a substantial part of the urban population.

Syria is an authoritarian state. Freedom of press is non-existent and the regime does not tolerate any form of opposition. However, just like in many other countries, Internet technology has offered new ways of breaking the government’s monopoly on information. Syria is a country with a rich cultural heritage. Many civilizations have left their mark. When travelling through Syria, this quickly becomes apparent.

Syrian music, literature and cuisine have had a large influence on cultures throughout the Middle East.

Further Reading

Syria has a rich cultural life. Damascus and Aleppo been cultural centres for centuries, and today, the arts are still very much alive in these cities. Museums may be somewhat run down, but there are many art galleries showing con...
The growth of social media and citizen journalism afforded Syrians some degree of freedom of expression, and these new platforms played a significant role in conveying information during the 2011 uprising against the al-Assad gove...
Syria's ethnic and religious composition is fairly homogenous. The population is overwhelmingly Arab and of Sunni Muslim religious denomination. Its dominant culture is Arab Islamic. Ethnic and religious minorities have nonetheles...

© Copyright Notice
Click on link to view the associated photo/image:
©Flickr | ©Hollandse Hoogte

We would like to ask you something …

Fanack is an independent media organisation, not funded by any state or any interest group, that distributes in the Middle East and the wider world unbiased analysis and background information, based on facts, about the Middle East and North Africa.

The website grew rapidly in breadth and depth and today forms a rich and valuable source of information on 21 countries, from Morocco to Oman and from Iran to Yemen, both in Arabic and English. We currently reach six million readers annually and growing fast.

In order to guarantee the impartiality of information on the Chronicle, articles are published without by-lines. This also allows correspondents to write more freely about sensitive or controversial issues in their country. All articles are fact-checked before publication to ensure that content is accurate, current and unbiased.

To run such a website is very expensive. With a small donation, you can make a huge impact. And it only takes a minute. Thank you.